new

Sunday, March 2, 2008

Now that's a smile.


Two things make Elle smile more than anything in the world. 1. when Nikki comes to get her out of bed (only if she's already awake... if Nik has to wake her up, she is not happy) and 2. when we hold her up to our face and sing to her. huge smiles almost everytime. I'm talking like huge smiles, like I wonder if it hurts her mouth to stretch that much. So we've been trying to get one of these smiles in a picture, and finally we got close this morning. This is when we went in to get her up this morning, and she was a happy girl.

Eleanor is doing really really great. She's been sleeping through the night almost completely for the last few nights, and when she does wake up, she goes back down pretty quickly. She's also mimicking us a lot more. She makes this funny gurgle noise sometimes, so we started doing it too. Now, when she hears us make the gurgle noise, she does it back. brilliant.

Nikki and I are both keeping really busy. Nikki has been back at work for 3 or 4 weeks now, and we're starting to get the hang of it. We juggle the baby back and forth; so I have the baby when she's at work, and she has the baby when I'm in class. Nikki is taking one class this semester, and it's an online class, so she doesn't have to drive out to Belton this semester. However, she is having to study for her comprehensive exams on top of her classwork, working 30 hours a week, and feeding a baby every three hours. She's a machine. Here's the normal schedule, from my point of view:

6:00 - We wake up and hope that Elle stays asleep till 7:00.
7:00 - Nikki feeds the baby while I do some house chores
8:00 - Nikki leaves me to fend for myself
8:05 - Put Eleanor down on her play mat, sit down at the desk to start writing.
8:06 - Pick Eleanor up. She will have none of this "playmat" nonsense.
8:07 - Get frustrated cause I feel like I'll never get any work done.
8:08 - Remember that Elle is a precious gift from God, and feel kind of like an ass for getting frustrated
8:09 - Play, sing, and dance with Eleanor
8:20ish - Start trying to put Eleanor down for her nap
8:22ish - Pick Eleanor up. She will have none of this "nap" nonsense.
8:45 - Eleanor usually goes down for her nap around this time.
9:45 - pack up the girl and drive up to Nikki's work, where she feeds Eleanor
10:45 - arrive back home; go back and forth between playing with/consoling Eleanor and reading or writing at my desk
11:15 - Put Eleanor down for nap
11:17 - Pick Eleanor up. She will have none of this "nap" nonsense.
1:00 - Nikki comes home, eats lunch, hangs out, and feeds Elle, then goes back to work
1:30 - play with Elle
2:30 - Eleanor naps, and I work as much as I can
4:00 - Nikki comes home and feeds Eleanor.
5:00 - We go for a walk around the neighborhood
6:00 - Elle eats again, while we eat dinner at the same time
7:00 - bathtime for Eleanor
8:00 - Eleanor eats again, and goes down for the night. I go into the office and work for 3-5 hours. Nikki also works between feedings
10:00 - another feed for Eleanor, this one's called a "dreamfeed" where you don't actually wake her up; she just eats while she sleeps.

This is all subject to change on days when I have class, or days when Elle is hungrier than usual. It's crazy busy, but also fun. We're in love with her.


Elle's favorite pasttime is watching me study. I'm pretty awesome at studying. You should come over and watch me do it. (I know you're not supposed to put those Bumbo seats up on the table, but it's okay if I'm sitting right next to her. Back off.)



A very fly Baby Bjorn that our friends let us borrow. Stylish.







10 comments:

Erin said...

#1. wow.
#2. again, wow.
#3. you guys are awesome parents, period.
#4. the distance between waco and houston reall sucks...would love to see that smile in person soon!

Erin said...

oh, and happy 3 months to eleanor!

Beth said...

Crack me up!
I love the schedule bit. Sounds like you guys have it down!

The Pereira Family said...

So precious....the end.

Jansen said...

J, I sure miss you...seriously funny stuff. Elle is a cutie pie, cute like her mama.

I love seeing you sport the Hard Rock Cafe-Hong Kong. I do believe I was with you when you bought it. Good time old friend.

Katie said...

I laughed so hard at this post! She is ADORABLE!! Love it. I still want to meet her when all the madness of exams cease.

phuong said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
phuong said...

Oh my God...I remember that schedule all too well! Cracked me up. Especially nap "nonsense."
Y'all are doing great! She's PRECIOUS!

KF said...

some day when you have another and are not in school your going to wonder, what the hell were we thinking??? but for the time being, it's the most amazing thing you've ever done, way to go rockstars...

Summers said...

Is that a Jerry Kerr shirt I spy behind the baby bjorn? CLASSIC is all I have to say. We had no idea he would wedge his way into all sorts of memories when we created that shirt...or did we? :)Chair spin. Uh. histerical. Remember "let's get it on!" before wink games at Mission Arlington. Ah...good times. Thanks for the trip down memory lane with that one. I hope it was a Jerry Kerr shirt, or I will feel quite stupid. : ) Oh, and your comment made my day. Thanks friend.